Your immune system plays a crucial role in your overall health but it probably isn’t something you think about often, especially when you’re feeling well. The moment you start to feel under the weather, though, you may wonder what you can do to feel better again. How well your immune system is functioning has everything to do with getting and staying well.
Your immune system is responsible for protecting your body from harmful germs, bacteria, and cell changes that could potentially make you sick. So it’s important to do everything you can to protect your immune system and keep it strong.
5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Fortunately, there are many ways to naturally boost your immune system and help you stay healthy.
- Eat a Healthy Diet. Eating a diet that’s high in fruits and vegetables can keep your body healthy and functioning properly. Foods to boost immune health include those rich in vitamin A, such as broccoli, carrots, spinach, and red bell peppers. Foods high in vitamin C, such as citrus fruits and kiwi are also beneficial. Incorporating protein, zinc, and vitamin E into your diet can also keep your immune system going strong.
- Exercise Regularly. Did you know regular exercise can boost your immune system? Exercise can improve your cardiovascular health, lower your blood pressure, and help your immune system ward off disease. To keep yourself healthy year-round, incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Just going for a short walk every morning can boost your immunity.
- Get Enough Sleep Every Night. Sleep is necessary to maintain your immune health, as sleep gives your body the time it needs to refuel and continue fighting off bacteria and viruses. Getting 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night can ensure your body is fully rested and able to function properly each day.
- Minimize Your Stress. Stress is an inevitable part of life. However, high levels of chronic stress can negatively impact your immune system by reducing the amount of white blood cells it produces to fight infections. This is why it’s important to actively reduce the amount of stress you experience, if possible. Yoga, meditation, Tai chi, or other light exercise can help reduce stress, lower your blood pressure and help you maintain a healthier lifestyle.
- Wash Your Hands Often. It’s imperative to wash your hands before you eat or touch your face, especially after being in public. Washing your hands regularly is one of the simplest and most effective ways you can prevent the spread of respiratory infections and keep yourself healthy. Make sure to follow proper handwashing techniques to ensure you’re removing bacteria efficiently. Live a Healthy Lifestyle at Saint Simeon’s
At Saint Simeon’s, nothing is more important to us than the health and wellbeing of our residents and team members. That’s why we’re taking the proper COVID-19 precautions to help limit the spread of the virus in our community.
Contact us today to learn more about our senior living options and what a life at Saint Simeon’s could look like for you.