There is a multitude of things you can do to maintain good personal hygiene that will help you to sustain an overall healthy lifestyle. Good hygiene habits can help boost your immune system, lower your risk of disease and improve your overall physical health. And luckily, there are plenty of hygiene best practices for seniors and older adults to help you reduce your chances of becoming ill. Follow these 10 personal hygiene rules to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
10 Personal Hygiene Practices for Seniors
Personal hygiene plays a huge role in how you feel and act every day, so make sure you are taking care of yourself. These 10 hygiene tips can help you maintain good personal hygiene, so you can feel your best.
- Eating healthy is a key component to maintaining good hygiene. Consuming high-fiber fruits, vegetables and whole grains are a great way to help your digestive system and keep you energized.
- Staying hydrated is another way to work towards having good hygiene. Seniors are prone to dehydration, so make sure you drink plenty of water every day to avoid becoming dehydrated.
- To make sure you get enough sleep every night, you should aim for 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night. Getting enough sleep every night can help boost your mood and lower your blood pressure. Lack of sleep can leave you feeling run down and compromise your immune system.
- Another easy way to practice good personal hygiene is by taking a shower daily. This will help remove bacteria and other irritants from your skin and reduce your risk of rashes or other skin problems.
- Trimming your nails often is a great way to eliminate the bacteria that live under your nail beds. Keeping your fingernails and toenails clean will help you avoid infections.
- You should also brush your teeth twice a day to maintain strong gums and prevent gum disease. By brushing twice a day, you will reduce your risk of illnesses associated with poor oral hygiene.
- Wash your hands often to avoid the spread of viruses and bacteria. Make sure to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds any time you come into contact with surfaces that haven’t just been cleaned.
- You can also improve personal hygiene by maintaining a clean home. An easy way to keep your home clean is by wiping down frequently touched surfaces with disinfectant spray.
- Wear deodorant daily to control excessive sweat, eliminate body odor and to smell fresh.
- Changing into clean clothes daily is also a good way to maintain personal hygiene and will help you prevent skin infections. Clothes capture bacteria, which makes changing them every day essential to avoiding the spread of germs.
How to Have Good Personal Hygiene
Are you wondering how to have good personal hygiene? It’s simple – follow the hygiene practices above and hold yourself accountable to maintain good personal hygiene. If you actively work towards improving your hygiene, you will be able to live a happier and healthier lifestyle. You are in control of your own hygiene and daily routine, so take the correct measures to make some positive changes in your life.
Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle at Saint Simeon’s
At Saint Simeon’s, we pride ourselves on the quality care we provide to every resident. With our four levels of senior assisted living care, we will ensure you are taken care of at the level of assistance that is appropriate for you. Our staff is available to answer any questions our residents may have. Contact us today to learn more about our four levels of assisted senior assisted living care.