As you age, it is important to keep up on your health, and you may find it necessary to make a few lifestyle adjustments in order to feel your best. For instance, eating a healthy diet and incorporating some type of physical activity into your daily routine is a great way to strengthen your immune system, reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease and even some cancers. This healthy lifestyle ensures your metabolism stays at a high-functioning rate and that you continue to enjoy a good appetite, allowing you to get all the vitamins and nutrients you need to maintain your overall wellness.
Practicing Proper Nutrition for Seniors
Practicing proper nutrition is extremely important for seniors, and absorbing most of your nutrients and minerals through foods is the best way to get them. When you’re eating a healthy diet, your body is at its best. Eating healthy as you age doesn’t have to be difficult, as long as you keep the following tips in mind:
- Drink more water. Let’s get back to basics. Drinking more water can help you in a number of ways. From reducing your risk of dehydration, keeping your body cool and even promoting better digestive and kidney health, drinking water and staying hydrated is vital to a healthy lifestyle. Invest in a good reusable water bottle and make sure to fill it up multiple times a day to get the best results.
- Start the day off right. Eating breakfast is a great way to kickstart your day. Studies show that eating large, wholesome meals in the mornings can provide the body with lots of nutrients vitamins that will keep you feeling satisfied and energized throughout the entire day. Opt for a substantial meal with lots of healthful ingredients like oatmeal and fruit or eggs with toast.
- Eat with others. Making mealtime a social event can also help to promote healthy eating habits while also making eating a meaningful part of your day. Studies have shown that when seniors eat together, they tend to choose better foods and have better overall health. It also helps keep consistent times for meals and promotes a routine for eating.
- Plan meals in advance. The easiest way to stay healthy and keep up with your good nutrition habits is to plan your meals out in advance. You can meal prep your foods so that they are already made and portioned out for the week ahead. This is also a great way to make sure you are getting your recommended amount of fruit, veggies, and meats. Another option to plan for the week is to keep a log of meals you are planning on eating, or even just setting aside portioned out bags full of snacks to munch on throughout the day.
- Indulge every once in a while. Maintaining healthy eating habits doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself every once in a while. Let yourself indulge and have a sweet treat every so often or get one of your favorite guilty pleasures while out celebrating a special occasion. Remember, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is all about moderation, and restricting yourself from your favorites could lead you to indulging too much when you allow yourself to have them.
A Healthy Lifestyle at Saint Simeon’s in Tulsa, Oklahoma
At Saint Simeon’s we are happy to offer many different dietary options and nutritious foods that support a healthy lifestyle. Our staff is ready to help provide for every one of our resident’s needs and to ensure they’re enjoying the highest quality of life possible. Discover our vibrant senior living services and amenities, or contact us today to learn more about our faith-based senior living community in Tulsa.