A recent study conducted by Caring.com compared the cost of retirement in all 50 states in the country. They looked at factors like options for affordable senior healthcare and supportive services, as well as the cost of living in each state. Their findings revealed the number one most affordable state in the country to retire is none other than right here: Oklahoma.
It appears that your nest egg will just go further here in the Sooner State. The annual cost of skilled nursing home care, for instance, is over $32,000 less than the national median. Additionally, Oklahoma is the fifth-cheapest state as far as the overall cost of living, meaning you just get more for your money here.
Why Retiring in Oklahoma is a Smart Decision for the Future
The affordability of the state of Oklahoma is undoubtedly one of the top reasons to consider planning your retirement here. Studies reveal that an overwhelming majority of people working in Oklahoma remain in the state upon retiring from the workforce – even if they aren’t originally from here. While the fact that you’ll get more bang for your retirement buck is very appealing, it’s certainly not the only reason to spend your golden years in our fair state. Some of the other reasons retiring in Oklahoma is appealing includes:
- Plenty of natural scenery to take in. Oklahoma has 11 distinct geographical regions within its borders, meaning there are lakes, mountain ranges, forests and so much more. If you enjoy the great outdoors, you can hike, bike, fish, and just bask in nature’s glory practically all year round.
- Milder, shorter winters. Speaking of getting outdoors, the climate is favorable pretty much throughout the entire year. The skies are sunny approximately 65 percent of the time, meaning you’ll get your vitamin D around 234 days out of the year. The winters can be brisk, sure, but the sun will be shining!
- Family-friendly activities. The entire state of Oklahoma offers an array of attractions and events the whole family will enjoy. Enjoy a day out on the town with the grandkids at top-rated attractions like the Tulsa Zoo or Oklahoma City Zoo, the Tulsa Air and Space Museum and Planetarium or the Jasmine Moran Children’s Museum in Seminole, just to name a few!
- Cultural and historical events. As the true land of cowboys and Indians, Oklahoma has a rich history and culture. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to visit historical landmarks that honor the state’s original residents, plus you can spend an entire weekend visiting local art museums, cultural events like the opera and ballet, exquisite dining options and more.
- Low unemployment rate. Looking to pick up a part-time job after you retire to keep your mind and body active? Oklahoma’s unemployment rate hovers around six percent, which is significantly below the national average. This means you’re sure to find an opportunity to bring in a little extra cash and socialization.
Enjoy a Thriving Retirement Lifestyle in Oklahoma at Saint Simeon’s
Tulsa, in particular, shows up on many of those “best of state” lists, especially when it comes to retirement. Tulsa offers cosmopolitan living with a wide array of cultural offerings like museums, the opera, the ballet, and great dining and shopping options. Additionally, Tulsa is home to innovative senior healthcare and hospitals like St. Francis Hospital and St. John Medical Center.
At Saint Simeon’s, we offer a variety of vibrant living options and supportive services to ensure you enjoy a thriving retirement. From independent living in a charming cottage to four levels of assisted living care and specialized Parkinson’s care, we are ready to meet your needs. To learn more, please contact us today.